Undertaking the pathway of Chef for Australian PR

The number of restaurants in Australia has increased significantly as a result of changing social patterns, a hectic lifestyle, and reduced free time among the Australian population. As a result, the demand for well-trained and skilled cooks has skyrocketed. The Commercial Cookery and Diploma of Hospitality Management course are ideal for anyone interested in pursuing a career as a chef. The culinary sector has a lot of exciting prospects for you and your culinary concepts to grow.

The minimum requirement to study Commercial Cookery is

5.5 overall in IELTS with no band less than 5

a minimum of Year 11 schooling or equivalent completed

The complete Commercial Cookery course includes:

Cert III in Commercial Cookery: This is a one-year programme that includes both theoretical and practical instruction. At the end of it, all students must complete a 10-week mandatory workplace training programme as trainee chefs in a suitable hospitality establishment such as restaurants, hotels, cafes, and coffee shops.

You can become a qualified cook by completing the Cert III in Commercial Cookery.

Cert IV in Commercial Cookery: This is a six-month course for students who have completed Certificate III in Commercial Cookery and desire to work in kitchen operations as a position above chef.

After completing Certificate III in Commercial Cookery course, you will be able to work as Cook, by completing the Diploma of Hospitality Management course, you will be able to work as a chef.

NOTE: The work placement may be on the course topic during Certificate III or Certificate IV, depending on the college where you enroll. You must complete 360 hours of work placement throughout the course of the one-and-a-half-year program.

Some institutions may not provide a Certificate III program, but instead offer a one-and-a-half year Certificate IV program in commercial cooking.

Diploma in Hospitality Management (Commercial Cookery Pathway): This is a 6-month programme designed for students who have completed Certificate III and IV in Commercial Cookery and wish to advance their skills and knowledge in the hospitality industry. Budgeting, customer service, financial management, inventory control, and operational planning are among the abilities you'll learn. Following completion of this course, you will be qualified to work as a kitchen manager, restaurant manager, chef, or unit manager.

After completing the Diploma in Hospitality Management, you can enroll in universities to pursue an Advanced Diploma in Hospitality Management or Bachelor's degree.

Criteria for Eligibility:

Student Visa in Good Standing

TRA assesses a CRICOS recognized qualification that is relevant to the occupation.

Proof of at least 360 hours of a relevant paid job or work placement related to your qualification and specified vocation.

The experience/placement must have occurred within the previous three years of the PSA (Provisional Skills Assessment) application submission.

Read this article to learn everything you need to know about Temporary Graduate Visas in Australia.

Submit an application for a Graduate Temporary Visa (subclass 485).

You can apply for a 485 visa after receiving a positive PSA.

Requirements for obtaining a 485 visa

You must complete two years of studies in Australia.

In IELTS, you need a total score of 6 but no less than 5 in each module.

STEP 2: Job Ready Program (JRP)

Once you've been granted a Graduate Temporary Visa, you'll need to complete a thorough skills assessment. You must register for the Job Ready Program (JRP). The goal of JRP is for you to get work experience in an Australian workplace so that you may improve your abilities.


From the commencement date of your Job Ready Employment, you must work for at least 1725 hours in an Australian workplace that is TRA certified throughout the course of a year.

You will be required to keep a monthly diary during your employment outlining examples of the tasks and duties you are performing in your workplace that are related to your occupation.


A TRA-approved registered training organization will examine you at your job. The evaluation will be based on the tasks you were expected to complete throughout your work time, as documented in your Job Ready Journal.

The assessor will give you a good JRWA outcome after reviewing your documents and being pleased with your performance.


You will be eligible to apply for JRFA if your PSA and JRWA results are both positive. The JRP has reached its conclusion. You must show that you worked 1725 hours in the chosen occupation during a 12-month period. You must also provide 12 months of Job Ready Journals, which must be signed by your designated supervisor and authorized by TRA. Following that, TRA will provide you with a full skill assessment.

Apply for Permanent Residency in Australia.

You can apply for Permanent Residency through the points-based visa route with the Full Skills Assessment from TRA. Then you can apply for a PR Visa Subclass 189 or 190. As a result, if you want to work as a cook or chef while also becoming a permanent resident of Australia, this is a viable option. Get comprehensive information on course providers, intakes, tuition rates, and more by contacting our education counselor.

For additional on assigned regions and visa help, contact Valet Migration on +61416788711 or send us an email at info@valetmigration.com.

2 views0 comments